Friday, October 29, 2010

Pico de Gallo

Hey all!

I have a day off today, so I thought I would post more recipes and give you a quick update on life up here in the polar north.

For a while now, Mr. G and I had been trying to figure out a way to visit our families over Christmas. We really wanted to see them both, but due to my strict work schedule, we would have to fly back and forth between TN and MN in a mere five days, and one of those flights would be on Christmas day. It wasn't the best, but we were willing to do it if it meant we got to see everyone. However, the biggest obstacle in our way was turning out not to be logistics but rather cost. It would cost us over $1,000 for our flights, and even with our families chipping in, that's not really something we can afford right now. We agonized over it for days, trying to come up with a way to make it work (and starting to accept that it wouldn't), when we found out about a deal through Southwest where we could purchase three one-way tickets for dirt cheap - the only catch is we would have to fly after New Years; the deal wasn't valid over Christmas. But we couldn't let an opportunity like this pass us up, especially when it's less than half the cost of the other tickets, still close enough to Christmas to work, and more convenient for both of our work schedules. Pretty amazing, right?

So the sad news is we won't be spending Christmas with our families, which will be a first for both of us. It's going to be a Connecticut Christmas this year. But the good news is we still get to see everyone shortly thereafter without having to pay much at all, if anything, since our families are contributing to our travel expenses as their Christmas presents to us. Also, it means I am now fully justified in decking the halls of the apartment and getting a nice tree. ;) And if you think Molly (our lab/collie) isn't getting a stocking, think again! I am happy she will be with us on Christmas, which wouldn't have happened if we were traveling. Although, I think we will also be watching our friends' dog at that time, which means we'll have a full house. And a smelly one, because he's very gassy (all candles will be lit).

In other news, we got Mr. G's car fixed (which ended up costing most of his bonus... boo), and I am now considering applying to grad school. Part of me thinks it's crazy since I barely made it through my undergrad thesis without (completely) losing my sanity, but at the same time, I can't ignore my still-burning desire to attend an Ivy League school, nor can I ignore the fact that one just happens to be located within a few minutes of my home (Yale). Coincidence? Possibly... if I believed in coincidences. This could just be a phase of mine, though, so we'll see how it pans out.

I guess that wasn't a very quick life update... but you should be all caught up now. On to the food!

As many of my friends know, I have a slight (ok, major) obsession with Mexican food. Since moving up to CT, though, the only Mexican I've had are the chicken enchiladas we occasionally make at home. Recently, I had a serious craving for some pico de gallo, but I wasn't satisfied with the selection at Stop n Shop. Whenever that happens, I naturally conclude that I have to try my hand at it myself. So I found an online recipe by Emeril Lagasse without too many ingredients and decided to give it a whirl. Here's how it goes:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups seeded, diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 tablespoon diced jalapenos
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro, plus extra for garnish
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy!
I had never seeded or diced vegetables before (at least not into teeny tiny pieces), so this ended up being a little more challenging than expected. I did it, but it took me forever haha. If I had a Magic Bullet, I would have been finished in no time. Also, I followed this recipe exactly - I made no substitutions or changes. The pico ended up being delicious; Mr. G and I ate it all in one night! After looking back, though, I would reconsider the garlic. I liked the tanginess it brought to the pico, but it was a little overwhelming. I would put in less next time, or maybe just skip it altogether. Also, I would double the ingredients so it would last longer for the two of us or better serve a group of people.  

Here are the ingredients I used and my finished product:






My next post will be on Fireman's Chili!

Happy cooking!

- Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment