Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pan Chicken Parmesan



I realized today that Mr. G and I lead an interesting lifestyle. We are similar to what Chris Rock calls "ghetto snobs." What I mean by that is we have some really nice things, but we don't have a lot of money. For example, we just bought iPhones as early Christmas presents to each other, and we have two cars - one of which is an Audi - yet we buy store brand groceries and pretty much only go out once a week for free wing night. What's wrong with this picture?

Thankfully, some of our financial stress was alleviated today when we found out that Mr. G's bonus is going to be three times what we anticipated! We both felt a huge weight lift off of us - it was such an answered prayer, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Now we can get new tires! It's funny what you get excited about as a grown-up...

Regardless, I am obsessed with my iPhone, and one of the many apps I downloaded (all of which were free, of course) is a healthy recipe finder called Spark Recipes. In celebration of Mr. G's much-deserved and much-needed work bonus, I decided to buy a bottle of wine and cook a nice Italian dinner since it was my day off. I chose the Pan Chicken Parmesan recipe from Spark Recipes since it didn't require a lot of ingredients and I had never made chicken parmesan before. And in honor of my new toy, I am going to post the recipe!

After purchasing a ridiculous amount of groceries today (store brand!), I came home and started on the dish. I didn't know it was possible to sautee chicken - and for a while, I didn't think it would be - but that's what I did. It was different, but it worked. After cooking the chicken with the spices, I baked it in the oven for a few minutes with the Italian sauce and mozzarella cheese, and it was done! Quick and fairly easy, and it was delish!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 4 5 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 .88 oz. slices of mozzarella cheese (I just piled on the shredded stuff)
  • 1/2 cup Prego Traditional Italian Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Dried rosemary leaves (I just used the rosemary from my spice rack)
  • Ground oregano
  • Dried basil
Directions:
  • Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (why would you taste raw chicken? Just sprinkle the spices on).
  • Heat skillet with olive oil.
  • Cook chicken until done and transfer to a baking dish.
  • Coat each chicken breast with 1/8 cup Prego sauce (I didn't measure), 1 slice of cheese (or shredded mozzarella), and dashes of herbs.
  • Bake in oven until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
  • Enjoy. :)
And since this is a "healthy" recipe, here are the nutrition facts:

Amount per serving:
  • Calories: 283
  • Total Fat: 11 g
  • Saturated Fat: 4 g
  • Cholesterol: 101 mg
  • Sodium: 432 mg
  • Potassium: 485 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 4 g
I think ghetto princess describes me better... Let's go with that.

- Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment